Willis Lexus Community Gallery Featuring Local Art Students
The past couple months we’ve been commissioning high school and college art students in the Des Moines area to create custom art pieces for a community gallery to be featured at the Willis Lexus auto dealership. We were looking for sixteen students to each create a custom painting including a Lexus car model placed in a familiar Des Moines scene. We were impressed by the student’s variety and creativity! The hot spots included the High Trestle Trail Bridge, Drake University, the infamous “Cheers from Des Moines!” mural by Ben Shuh (that kick-started our Des Moines Walls Project initiative), the downtown skyline and so much more.
We sincerely enjoyed working with the students and we are so impressed with their final pieces. Here’s just a handful of the pieces that we’d like to share with you! The artist’s name, school and year in school are below each piece.
A big thank you to all the students who participated in this gallery. It’s a privilege to showcase local talent – even while still in school!
The complete list of participating students:
- Amanda Karges, Iowa State University, Senior
- Brooke Mumford, Des Moines Christian School, Senior
- Kiran Greteman, Des Moines Christian School, Junior
- Megan Eddy, Des Moines Christian School, Junior
- Megan Miller, Des Moines Christian School, Sophomore
- Carson Chivers, Roosevelt High School, Sophomore
- Isaac Toluwalase, Iowa State University, Freshman
- Leigh Carlson, Drake University, Freshman
- Lea Smith, Iowa State University, Sophomore
- Jenny Miller, Iowa State University, Freshman
- John Anderson, University of Iowa, Freshman
- Tim Walker, University of Iowa, Sophomore
- Gus Walsh, Roosevelt High School, Senior
- Jesse Smalls, Iowa State University, Freshman
- Nicole Johnson, UNI, Freshman